- Established in 1981, HPMI is an independent, non-government, non-profit, medical education body which provides quality, independent Continuing Professional Development to the health profession throughout the Hunter, New England, Northern Tablelands, Western Plains, Mid North and Central Coast regions of New South Wales.
- Governed by a Board, an Executive responsible for all Financial and Policy decisions and a Program Committee that designs Annual Program. A full time Secretariat acts as a go between these Committees and the medical community.
- Closely affiliated with Faculty of Health, The University of Newcastle, Hunter Area Health Service, GP Access, General Practice Training Valley to Coast, Hunter Rural Division of General Practice, Australian Postgraduate Federation in Medicine and Specialist Societies (provides fund holding and secretarial services for the Hunter Surgical Society and Newcastle Obstetric and Gynaecological Society).
- Receives no Government funding and relies completely on its Membership and Sponsorship subscriptions, as well as registration fees.
- Accredited as a Self Assessor for the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine for Continuing Professional Development and Quality Assurance (CPD&QA) points.
- Offers Complimentary Membership to trainees from General Practice Training Valley to Coast, Junior Medical Officers and Medical Students (who are also eligible to apply for a Health Selectives Bursary).
- Provides On-line Courses in Shared Obstetrics Care and Geriatrics.
- Maintains a Central Diary, Medical and Sponsors’ Directories and Links to other educational bodies on our website. Also a Members access area to meeting handouts and presentations.
- Produces a newsletter HPMI News, as well as an annual Careers in Medicine Handbook, a guide for undergraduate and graduates in choosing a career in medicine.lth, Hamilton South.